Improving Health and Wellness
Approaches to Improving Your Health and Wellness
When most people think about their health and wellness, they imagine their physical health. They might even think only about the appearance of their body, or how they think they look to others. In reality, health and wellness is about so much more.
Total health and wellness is really about maintaining a combination of physical health, mental health and spiritual health. Fortunately, all of these areas are connected, and improving your health in one area will naturally lead to improvements in the other areas. Achieving and maintaining good health, fitness and wellness is not something you can accomplish overnight, especially if you've been locked to the couch for years. At the same time, deciding to make a commitment to your fitness is among the most important decisions you'll make during your life.
Health and Wellness Topics
There are three major categories within health and wellness topics that require consideration. These categories include:
- Improving Health: There's really no good reason not to improve mental and physical health -- doing so can improve almost every aspect of your life. The Surgeon General's Report states that exercise has a variety of positive effects on your mental and physical well-being.
- Improving Wealth: Remember that all money is simply energy, a means of exchange. You provide money to a vendor because you value their goods or services more than you value any other good or service you could purchase with that given amount of money at that time.
- Meditation: There are five major types of meditation, so you don't need to feel locked into any one particular type. How long and how often you practice meditation are up to you, but most people that do so regularly practice for 15 to 20 minutes a day.
Health and Wellness as a Lifestyle
All too often, you'll hear people talking about health only in terms of their weight. They're not happy with their physical appearance, and they want to drop a certain number of pounds or at least look better for beach season or their high school reunion. They say that they'll do whatever they can, whether it's a fad diet or potentially dangerous weight loss pills, to drop the weight in time. Whether they're successful in losing the weight or not, they later return to their old habits and gain the weight right back.
What these people don't realize is that health and fitness is a lifelong commitment and even a way of life, not just something you focus on temporarily in order to look good in a bathing suit. Yes, your body will naturally look better when you dedicate yourself to eating a healthier diet and exercising on a regular basis. However, you're also going to have more energy, a greater level of mental focus and clarity, and a greater appreciation for the things that you already appreciate in life. You'll also live longer and be far less susceptible to literally hundreds of diseases and illnesses.
For people who never exercise or eat correctly, the idea of health and fitness as a lifelong commitment can seem daunting. However, for people who stay in shape and are accustomed to eating healthfully, fitness is simply natural. Once you take the initial steps toward better health and fitness, the overall lifestyle changes will seem much easier.
Combining Regular Exercise and a Healthy Diet
Although it's possible to lose weight through either a healthy, calorie-conscious diet or regular physical activity, optimal health and fitness requires you to do both. This doesn't mean that you'll only be allowed to eat celery and rice cakes for the rest of your life, or that you'll need to become an endurance runner if you want to stay healthy.
Instead, you can obtain optimal health and fitness through small, gradual lifestyle changes that apply to your diet and physical activity. Here are a few good ideas for getting started:
- Plate up only half of what you think you'll need at dinner. After eating, wait approximately 20 minutes before deciding whether you need to eat more. You may be surprised to find that you feel full despite eating less than you would normally.
- Focus on eating natural, unprocessed whole foods, like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and lean cuts of meat. These types of foods are nutritious and easily digested by our bodies.
- Create a schedule for physical activity. Experiment with different methods of exercise such as jogging, cycling, sports, aerobics and yoga to find the activities you enjoy most. Try to incorporate some form of strength training into any fitness plan you create.
You'll find more information on proper diet and healthy, natural approaches to weight loss and continuing health maintenance in our product section, as well as more in-depth information on what it means to be a healthy individual. Companies like Gaiam and LifePath Unlimited are dedicated to finding ways to help you use natural, eco-friendly ways to get involved in your community and stay healthy.
Getting healthy and fit is not something you should have to do by yourself. Don't hesitate to contact us for additional information related to obtaining optimal health and wellness.